Thursday, May 7, 2009

Pepsi refreshes the ad... fo sho

Morris Column near Union Square

About a month ago, as I was walking up Powell, I noticed this Pepsi ad on a Morris column. It was written: fo sho!, the Os replaced by the Pepsi logo. But this ad was not talking to me at all, since I didn’t know the meaning of this expression. As soon as I went back home, I googled it, and found out it was slang for ‘for sure’, and basically a way to agree with someone in an urban style.


Now I get it, I found this ad yay(another idiom recently learnt) funny, and a good way to reach this specific branch of young urban people. 


The Pepsi ‘refresh’ campaign is surfing on the Hope raised from the election of President Obama, and the fact that optimism is the corner-stone for a good future.. drinking Pepsi at the same time, fo sho.


3 comments:

  1. So these new Pepsi ads. I like them. Nowhere on them do they say Pepsi, which is cool because even though they have a revised logo, it is still identifiable as Pepsi. I like how they use the logo as the "O" in the spellings. I have also noticed that depending on where they are located, determines what the message is. For example I saw one on the free near a largely Hispanic area, and they had "delicioso" . ITs nice to see them cater to the different ethnic groups, especially in a city like SF, where it is so diverse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pepsi continues to target the younger market segment. In order to compete in a Oligopoly, Pepsi needs to differentiate its product. They have always tried to remain in the "cool zone" rather than a "classic" stance. I would look to see many more marketing campaigns that remain on the cutting edge of pop culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was about time Pepsi finally made a move. They needed something to refresh their image and this campaign works. It's fun and harmelss and the ad you have a pic of makes me want to look at it. It's simlple, yet colorful and intiguing

    ReplyDelete